Blue Coat MailThreat BLADE
Make email safe.
Make email safe. Today’s advanced and unknown malware continues to evade even the best traditional security defenses, often using email as an effective method to deliver that malware. In spite of broad deployment of anti-spam/phishing solutions, thousands of new, successful malware samples are discovered within enterprise networks every day. In fact, “95% of all state-affiliated espionage attacks relied on phishing in some way—even the most targeted and malicious attacks often rely on relatively simple techniques,” according to the 2013 Verizon Data Breach Report.
As email is such a critical communications tool, how will you protect your organization and users from the wide range of email-based threats and vulnerabilities, without causing mutiny and bringing productivity to a halt? The Blue Coat MailThreat BLADE is your answer.
Deployed on our Security Analytics Platform, this blade provides you with real-time, comprehensive protection against email-based threats, so you can empower your workforce to access and use the resources they choose, whenever they like, with total confidence. The Blue Coat MailThreat BLADE delivers:
Comprehensive scanning of email protocols including SMTP, POP3, IMAP, and Web mail
- Accurate malware analysis of unknown content and attached files delivered via email
- Optimized Attachment Analysis with known good and bad file hash look-ups before sandboxing
- Detection of malicious links* within email by leveraging the Blue Coat WebPulse Intelligence Network
- Unified management with other ThreatBLADES, delivered through a single pane of glass.
Leveraging the Blue Coat Intelligence Network
The Blue Coat MailThreat BLADE works exclusively with our Security Analytics Platform and is powered by the Blue Coat WebPulse Intelligence Network, which performs real-time ratings of embedded web URLs and content and provides background processes that hunt for evidence of malware, phishing sites, and malicious content—based on intelligence aggregated from 75 million endpoints. This “network effect” provides unmatched visibility and intelligence to the MailThreat BLADE in order to quickly protect against email-based threats.
Advanced persistent threats and zero-day malware use email as a common medium to breach the most secure networks. Enterprises are challenged with protecting their organizations from email-based threats, despite broad deployment of anti-spam/phishing solutions. With the changing threat landscape and ever-increasing number of attacks, organizations are struggling to protect their assets and infrastructure. More than 200,000 new malware samples are discovered every day, and exploits are evolving and diversifying quickly.
Meanwhile, today’s advanced and unknown malware continue to evade even the best traditional security defenses, with email being used as an effective method of delivery. Enterprises face many challenges in gaining protection against these modern day threats, including:
- Attackers that increasingly use email and social engineering techniques to deliver targeted viruses, worms, trojans and other types of malware into even the most secure networks
- 47% of email is now opened on a mobile device (“Email Analytics”, Litmus, Aug 2013)
- BYOD initiatives freely allow corporate users into the trusted network
- Cybercriminals, hacktivists and state-sponsored attackers utilizing various tactics, techniques and procedures that incorporate sophisticated email schemes
- The explosion of social media and Web 2.0 – including Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter – and the mandate to embrace them within the enterprise
- Unintentional loss of sensitive data through employees’ lack of email security awareness
- A growing security gap where even the largest, most fortified networks are still not immune to attacks and often face public shame
According to a recent Verizon Business Data Breach report, 47% of successful malware used email attachments as the threat vector. Targeted and zero-day attacks continue to dominate the headlines, whether at the hands of cybercriminals, hacktivists or nation states. Recently, state-sponsored hackers used spear phishing techniques to target and compromise global media giants, gaining access to trusted networks and sensitive data. Because traditional technologies can’t defend against what they can’t see, today’s IT security teams need the context, content and visibility required to effectively detect and identify zero-day attacks, APTs, and next-generation malware. Although perimeter preventionbased security controls are still an important component of an effective defense-in-depth strategy, they alone are not enough in today’s post-prevention world. As a result, today’s advanced, stealthy and evasive malware continues to compromise even the most secure networks and devices.
Blue Coat is revolutionizing advanced threat protection by unifying blocking and enforcement, advanced security analytics, threat intelligence and security, and SSL visibility. This Advanced Threat Protection Platform combines with the new Blue Coat ThreatBLADES, which deliver a host of extensible and fully integrated software blades on the industry-leading Security Analytics Platform. Blue Coat ThreatBLADES provide dynamic, up-to-date intelligence and analysis on today’s advanced persistent threats. All of the powerful and flexible ThreatBLADES use a cloud-based threat intelligence infrastructure powered by the Blue Coat Global Intelligence Network – leveraging the collaborative ‘network effect’ of more than 75 million users. Blue Coat ThreatBLADES are also tightly integrated with the Blue Coat Malware Analysis Appliance, a unique, next-generation malware analysis and sandboxing solution that delivers highly accurate threat verdicts. Now, as part of the Blue Coat ThreatBLADES portfolio, the MailThreat BLADE delivers superior protection against unknown and advanced malware, malicious files and zero day attacks delivered via email.
The MailThreat BLADE is tightly integrated with the Security Analytics Platform and Security Analytics Central Manager for maximum efficiency, full security visibility and total contextual analysis across all email traffic. The MailThreat BLADE is deployed on the Security Analytics Appliance, Security Analytics Software or Security Analytics Virtual Appliance.
Blue Coat MailThreat BLADE
The Blue Coat MailThreat BLADE – powered by integrated malware analysis and sandboxing technology from Blue Coat – detects, classifies and safely analyzes email-based threats that are missed by traditional messaging security gateway solutions. It allows enterprises to quickly and accurately identify zero-day attacks, advanced persistent threats and other malicious code embedded within email attachments – including Microsoft Office documents, PDFs, Java files, EXE files and much more. For the first time, enterprises can gain full visibility and perform the industry’s most comprehensive malware analysis on all email traffic – including SMTP, POP3, IMAP and Web mail. MailThreat BLADE compares email attachment filehashes against known good and bad file knowledgebases before forwarding them for sandbox detonation, optimizing malware analysis. And, our unique dual-method virtualization and emulation sandbox design achieves unprecedented detection accuracy of VM-evasive malware. Using the Security Analytics Platform, enterprises will be able to create policies that will trigger alerts when a known malicious email is detected in their network. The MailThreat BLADE also uses the full packet capture capabilities of the Security Analytics Platform to enable full reconstruction of emails and attachments in human-readable format to monitor and investigate sensitive data loss.
The powerful Global Intelligence Network and the network effect of 15,000 customers and 75 million users allows the MailThreat BLADE to have the latest information on all known malicious URL links embedded in emails.
Features & Benefits:
- Powered by integrated sandbox technology from Blue Coat
- Real-time extraction of email attachments for malware analysis
- Monitor all email traffic including SMTP, POP3, IMAP traffic and webmail
- Full email reconstruction, delivered in its original format
- Single-user interface combines email threat detection and security analytics
- Built on the industry-leading Security Analytics Platform
- Hybrid sandbox for highly accurate detection of email-based malware
- Near real-time threat detection on unknown and embedded malware
- Comprehensive malware coverage for all email attachments
- Optimized attachment analysis with extensive hash-lookups before sandboxing
- Unified management delivered in a single pane-of-glass
- Industry’s only solution combining email threat protection with security analytics
- No hardware – flexible and extensible software blade eliminates CAPEX costs
|Blue Coat MailThreat BLADE Specifications|
|Form Factor||Software Blade|
|Supported Sensors||Security Analytics Appliances, Software and Virtual Appliance|
|Deployment Options||Al-a-carte or as part of the Blue Coat Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) Suite|
|Email Protocols||SMTP, POP3, IMAP and webmail|
|Sandbox||Blue Coat Malware Analysis Appliance or 3rdparty sandboxing technology|
|Actions & Alerts||Real-time alerts based on IP and URL reputation or known email-based attacks|
|User Interface||Integrated into Security Analytics Dashboard|
|Central Management||Security Analytics Central Manager|
|Blue Coat MailThreat BLADE Requirements|
|Software Version||v7.1 or higher|
|Software||Blue Coat MailThreat BLADE or Blue Coat ATP Suite|
|Sensors||Security Analytics 2G/10G Appliances, Security Analytics Software or Security Analytics Virtual Appliance|
|Minimum RAM||8 GB|
|Minimum Storage||500 GB|
Download the Blue Coat MailThreat BLADE Datasheet (PDF).
- Pricing and product availability subject to change without notice.